Sunday, March 30, 2014

Oiling Peelies

I've spent the past four days without polish, oiling like crazy, five or six times a day, rubbing it in for at least ten minutes each time.

Alright, I'll back up, since I don't think I've explained oiling yet. The consensus used to be that one should dehydrate nails before painting them, but recently MUA's Nail Board has taken to doing the opposite. The recent trend has been to remove polish, wash the acetone off, and then massage with oil before applying more polish. Many girls use Solar Oil, though any oil will work, including vegetable oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. (I've been using something I found at a thrift store called T.I.P.S. along with some cuticle oil I bought from Northern Star.) After rubbing it in for about thirty seconds on each nail, the excess is wiped off with a cloth or paper towel, and polish is applied as usual. Many girls have seen a great reduction in peelies using this method, and many now swear by it.

I've had pretty good results, too. I don't do it every mani, but when I do, it seems like my nails really appreciate the extra moisture, soaking it all in. So when I got a really bad peelie, I wondered if I could do any extra good by keeping polish off and oiling as much as I could. I don't have a before pic to compare, but here're my results (we're looking at the middle finger on my right hand):


Not "healed," per se, but definitely healthy looking! I think the only way to really heal it is just to grow it out, but it seems like keeping it well oiled in the meantime certainly helps.

And~ just for the heck of it, here's my left hand. Loving my nubs and my healthy, pretty cuticles!


No comments:

Post a Comment